Custom stocks --

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom stocks --

Are there any regular podium pros that are NOT using a custom fit stock? I can't think of any...

I know that for me personally, finally biting the bullet and succumbing to the expense resulted in adding about 3 targets to my average virtually overnight... Mine happens to be from Mike Lupold at S&S.

I don't think it would have paid to get it before I made M, as I personally ended up virtually re-inventing my entire game in order to become somewhat competitive in M. But after I got through that, I think it --plus lessons from a pro-- has been the best money I've spent toward improving my game.
    My stuff: K-80 w/ S&S custom Stock and 32" flat rib, thin-wall choked barrels; Castellani vest or jacket or Lonesome Charlie pouch, Pilla glasses, Bornaghi Star or Gold 1oz 7-½'s @ 1250 fps ammo.

I think the stock and to a lesser extent the forearm are the heart and soul of a shotgun. The metal parts just make the gun go boom and deliver a good pattern, Jim Greenwood made me two stocks for my pair of Browning Golds 10 years ago and I could not be happier with how well I move and shoot them. I have one of his try-stocks on my K-80/RT and am about to get the final stock made. Folks make too much out of engraving, gun brand, whose chokes, etc, when they should be focusing on getting a custom stock made.

Comment

Goldguy,

Well said!

Best,
      Will
      Best,

Will
      www.fennellshootingschool.com

Comment

What's the general thought of adjustable stocks like the TSK as an alternative to a custom made stock, assuming the adjustable stock is adjusted correctly and the temptation to fiddle with it is ignored.

Not the most attractive things out there but functional?

Comment

Originally posted by Waldo View Post
          What's the general thought of adjustable stocks like the TSK as an alternative to a custom made stock, assuming the adjustable stock is adjusted correctly and the temptation to fiddle with it is ignored.

Not the most attractive things out there but functional?
          My limited .02 only. I tried a PFS, and know a few guys that use the TSK's. The issue for me with all of them I've felt is they are significantly heavier than a regular stock. If that works for you, it could be a great solution. But for me, they all feel too heavy and don't mount like a custom wood stock. If I only shot trap --or other 100% pre-mounted game-- it might be a worthwhile consideration for me. But not a viable option for me for FITASC or sporting. YMMV.
          My stuff: K-80 w/ S&S custom Stock and 32" flat rib, thin-wall choked barrels; Castellani vest or jacket or Lonesome Charlie pouch, Pilla glasses, Bornaghi Star or Gold 1oz 7-½'s @ 1250 fps ammo.

Comment

Working...
          X